Heritage Preservation Awards
The City of Thorold is truly honoured to be selected as the recipient of the prestigious National Trust of Canada’s 2017 Prince of Wales Prize for Municipal Heritage Leadership. This award honours Thorold’s achievement in maintaining heritage assets through its Downtown Streetscape Master Plan. The transformation of the downtown area has enhanced Thorold’s rich industrial history and cultural heritage.
Preservation of Thorold properties
Heritage Thorold (Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee) is committed to the identification and preservation of Thorold’s properties. The informative A Walk Through History brochure maps and details a selection of heritage buildings and sites to admire.
Architectural Conservancy of Ontario Awards
Shannon and Michael Passero, owners of The Post Office women’s clothing and accessories boutique are the 2017 recipients of the Paul Oberman Award for Adaptive Reuse presented by Architectural Conservancy Ontario. The honour recognizes the broader community economic development spin-offs the family company brings to downtown Thorold. The re-occupation of the Thorold Fire Hall and Post Office has brought innovative new businesses to the community.
Historian and researcher, Sarah King Head claimed the 2017 Architectural Conservancy of Ontario’s Margaret & Nicholas Hill Cultural Heritage Landscape Award on behalf of Heritage Thorold LACAC for her report Beaverdams, a Cultural Heritage Landscape.
For more information of designated properties visit Heritage Thorold.
Building Heritage Stories
The website, Building Stories, has a collection of photos and information of heritage buildings in Thorold and throughout Ontario. The website, operated from the Heritage Resources Centre at the University of Waterloo, may be accessed either online or through the Building Stories app.. Visit Building Stories.
Preservational Things To Do in Thorold
- Enter the world of Shannon Passero
- Shop Thorold…Shop where you live. Love Where you shop.
- Follow the Laura Secord Legacy Trail
- Thorold's Role in Decisive Victory in War of 1812
- Picnic at Memorial Park
- Bird-watch at Mel Swart Lake Gibson Conservation Park
- Experience the Old Town atmosphere of Historic Downtown
- Step back into history at Henderson's Pharmacy
- Visit our historical rural communities
- Walk Through History
- Visit the First Nations Peace Monument
- Welland Canal - Commemorative Parks Canada Plaque
- Drop by the Annual Car Show